Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Beginning

From a very young age I dreamed of becoming a real actor.

That dream was put on hold for a long time because of commitments and priorities. I never gave up on those aspirations. If it was meant to be, I told myself. The opportunity would present itself when I was ready.

Years turned into decades. The Internet became more sophisticated and I learned that movies weren't always filmed in Hollywood. DVDs began to include special features including behind-the-scenes footage, interviews and commentary. I began to study acting by studying the bonus materials. Friends, family and acquaintances became subjects of study. I tried to incorporate their mannerisms in perfecting various characters.

Now what I needed was experience acting in front of the camera. I was not so naive to think that a forty-something with no acting experience was going to get a paying role. What I needed to do was find Pro Bono acting jobs in Independent Film.

Unlucky for me I moved far away from the big cities. Growing up in rural Michigan, I never liked the hustle and bustle of city life. So when the opportunity to be in a movie presented itself. I jumped at the chance and endured the five hour drive to follow my dream.

No comments: