Sunday, June 1, 2008

My First Movie - Pre Production

Script, Contact Sheets for Cast and Crew, Shooting Schedule and a welcome letter from the Executive Producer were emailed to everyone working on the project.

A mandatory pre-production meeting was scheduled at a community college near Detroit. I almost didn't make it because the exact location had been pending. I ended up calling one of the lead actors for the info.

Morning traffic and road construction slowed my commute. I arrived with less than ten minutes to spare. The Producer saw me walk in. He called me over and directed me to the meeting.

Almost everyone was there and we began almost on time. Contracts were passed out for everyone to fill out, sign and turn in. The Executive Producer was the first to speak.

Paul Mentier of Sparkling Frog Media LLC came across as a man driven by his work in film. He had many good things to say about the Director and Producer. More importantly he was as excited about making this movie as I was.

Next was Gary Bosek the Director/Co-Director. Gary is probably the most optimistic guy I've ever met. He is very genuine and friendly. He introduced everyone at the meeting and had a good word to say about all who were in attendance.

When he got to me a few giggles broke out when he described the fight scene. Jeff Priskorn, the actor I'm supposed to fight. Is sitting across the room with his wife and co-star, Jacquie Floyd. In character I looked over and nodded to Jeff. Now I didn't catch exactly what she said but the jist of it was to go easy on her man. The giggles turned into laughter and I couldn't help but to smile.

Then Producer and Co-Director Jon Janosko had his turn to speak about the plot of the film. Now Jon is a person that when he speaks you can actually hear the gears of creativity turning in his head. He is methodical, precise and when he's not thinking and talking at the same time. He's approachable and laid back.

The meeting concluded and I had some words with Gary and Jon about the script. They assured me everything would work out on the day of filming and it "Was going to be fun".

I left feeling a little apprehensive about the whole "fun" thing. I'm an actor who has mostly studied drama. I can be funny, don't get me wrong. My one-liners leave my friends, family and co-workers busting a gut.

My feeling from reading the script was that this was going to be a psychological thriller. How do you have fun with this genre?

Little did I know how fun it was going to be.

No comments: